Vincent St 100, North Perth
100%20Vincent%20Street

Construction

Built 1918

Protected

Text

Architecture

The subject brick and tile dwelling was constructed circa 1917 in the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

The dwelling is setback approximately 6 metres behind the footpath and sits, off centre over two large lots. Along the western side of the dwelling there is a driveway, which leads to a brick and tile garage at the rear of the dwelling. Elevated above the natural ground level by a limestone base the dwelling is accessed via six centrally located steps, which are headed by two short decorative pillars. The single-storey dwelling has a hipped roof, which extends over the front and side verandahs at a lower pitch. The roof is headed by a gable vent with a terracotta ridge and crest. Two gables, which feature infill timber battens and terracotta crests also protrude from the hipped roof and head two protruding bays. A fourth gable feature is located over the front entry porch and a large fifth gable protrudes from the western facing portion of the roof. Two tall rough cast rendered brick chimney's protrude above the roof line of the building. A verandah, which is continuous with the main roof form, runs the whole perimeter of the dwelling. The verandah was originally supported by timber posts. However, it is understood that these posts were removed due to deterioration and were replaced with the current Doric columns. The verandah floor is concrete. The dwelling has a grand central front entry, which comprises a timber door with a stained glass infill and wide stained glass side lights and a fan light. The main central fan light has the word 'Mincol' demarcated in lead lights. The meaning of the word Mincol has not been determined. The entry is flanked on either side by identical protruding bays with timber casement window arrangements and fanlights above. The dwelling comprises painted brick work to sill height, which is headed by a band with roughcast (rock faced) render above. The brickwork to the front of the house is tuck pointed. An internal inspection revealed that the internal layout and much of the original detailing has been retained. The entrance to the dwelling opens into a large entrance hall with pressed tin ceilings and a picture rail. Two rooms project either side of the entrance hall. Both rooms comprise fireplaces with timber fire place surrounds, picture rails, high ceilings with deep cove cornices, deep timber architraves, decorative vents and a pair of French doors with a fanlight above, which open out onto the side verandahs. The room to the west has an ornate pressed tin ceiling. The original pressed tin ceiling has been replaced due to deterioration in the eastern room. The entrance area reduces to a central hallway from which a lounge and dining room protrude to the west and a smaller bedroom and kitchen to the east. The lounge room has a bay along its western wall with two French doors with fanlights and two single timber framed casement windows, which open out on the verandah. The lounge room has a deep cove cornice detail, a picture rail and a decorative pressed tin ceiling and vents and an exposed brick fireplace along its southern wall. The kitchen has been modernised. However, it still retains its original pressed tin ceiling, vents, picture rail and timber door with fanlight, which opens onto the east verandah. At the end of the entrance hall a timber door with fanlight above opens into a large open room, which features decorative vents, a pressed tin ceiling and a three panel timber casement window arrangements with associated fanlights. To the east of this rear room there is the original bathroom and toilet facilities, which feature pressed tin ceilings and single timber sash windows. To the west there is an ancillary room also with pressed tined ceilings and a bricked up fireplace with timber mantle. The room to the west and the toilet to the east also contain doors, which provide access to the rear verandah. A store room has been constructed along the eastern side of the verandah. It has been finished to match the external detailing of the dwelling. The rear of the dwelling is mostly paved with a hills hoist and some flower beds. The subject dwelling is located along the portion of Vincent Street between Norfolk and Hyde Streets in Mount Lawley.

The subject dwelling at No. 100 Vincent Street, Mount Lawley has some aesthetic value as an individual building displaying elements of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture with Inter-war modifications. The dwelling has considerable aesthetic value in terms of its relation to the surrounding dwellings and the overall contribution to the style and character of places along this portion of Vincent Street. The aesthetic cohesiveness of the original dwellings is considered to be sympathetic and complementary to the vista of Hyde Park. The place has some historic value as it forms part of the evolution and pattern of the history of the Town of Vincent, with particular reference to the early part of the twentieth century following the Gold Rush period and the expansion of Perth and its outlying suburbs.

Residence

1917-1949: James Bett Willis

Social History

The subject place at No.100 Vincent Street, Perth is first listed in the Wise Post Office Directories in 1917 and is occupied by J Willis. Evidence in the Directories indicates that the place may have been constructed a year earlier with a street address of No. 98 Vincent Street. Mr Willis is listed in the Directories as the resident of the place until 1949.

Photos

Text

Research Links

1939-Death Notice-Willis: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/46404513?searchTerm=%22100%20vincent%20street%22%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc|||l-state=Western+Australia#
Heritage Council of WA:http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov.au/Public/Inventory/PrintSingleRecord/e9b373bf-ca6c-4f6a-a092-871181e1ce44
1951: James Bett Willis - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48980256?searchTerm=%22100%20vincent%20street%22%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=l-state=Western+Australia|||l-availability=y|||sortby=dateAsc#
Jack Daniels lived here in 1934. Buick registered.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License