Glendower St 109, North Perth

Construction

Constructed from 1905

Protected?

This property is included on the City of Vincent's Municipal Heritage Inventory

Conservation Recommended

Architecture

The subject dwelling at No. 109 Glendower Street is a fine example of the Federation Arts and Craft style and makes a signficant contribution to the streetscape and character of the area.

The substantial single storey dwelling at No. 109 Glendower Street is a mirror image of No. 107 Glendower Street constructed in 1900 in the Federation Arts and Craft style. The dwelling features tuck-pointed face brick and heavily moulded stucco bands decorating the prominent arched front window. The projecting roof gable is half timbered with rough cast stucco infill and a bracketed frieze that extends under the eave line across the front. The dwelling has a return bullnosed verandah and the chimneys are topped by corbelled stucco. Garden setting behind street front fence.

Residence

Jno Smith 1910 (West Australian post office directory of 1910)
Robert J. Knox-Peden to 1915
Thomas Wheatley 1915
Mrs Elizabeth Howard 1917 (West Australian post office directory of 1917)
Jos J Bryant 1918-1919 (West Australian post office directory of 1919)
Martin Hannigan 1920 (West Australian post office directory of 1920)
Robert Fitzgerald Hamilton 1921-1925
Miss Grace Hamilton 1935-1949

Social History

Glendower Street was developed adjacent to Hyde Park. The houses shown on the 1897 PWD sewerage plan, fronting the park along what is now Glendower Street between Lake and William Streets, have all been replaced with later constructions. The residences along Glendower Street developed between 1900 and 1940. Glendower Street was first listed in Wise's Post Office Directories in 1898 when there were four houses (not numbered) listed between Palmerston and Fitzgerald Streets. The following year (1899) their numbers had doubled to eight but there were still no street numbers allocated. The subject dwelling was first listed in the Wise's Post Office Directories in 1898 with Mr Robert J Knox-Peden occupying the dwelling. In 1900 street numbers were listed for the first time, confirming that Knox - Peden did reside at No. 109. By 1915 the resident had changed to Thomas Wheatley and in 1925 it was R.F Hamilton. The 1935 listing indicated that Miss Grace Hamilton was in residence, possibly R. F Hamilton's daugther. In 1949, the last year of the Directories, Miss Hamilton was still the occupant suggesting that the Hamilton family resided at the subject place from 1925 to at least 1949.

Photos

109%20Glendower%20Street

Research Links

Notice of winner of crossword prize-Miss G.Hamilton, 109 Glendower-st., Perth; as listed on 26 November 1932.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/82876773?searchTerm=%22109%20glendower%20st%22%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=
Notice of funeral of The funeral of the late. Mr. Robert Fitzgerald Hamilton, of 109 Glendower-street, North Perth, took place in the Presbyterian portion of the Karrakatta Cemetery on November 3. the Rev Neil McDonald officiating at the graveside. The late Mr. Hamilton was tor many years connected
with life insurance companies in Western Australia.-listed on 5 November 1932
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/32575839?searchTerm=%22R.F.%20hamilton%22%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License