Glendower St 015, North Perth


15 Glendower Street is a 4 bedroom, 1 bathroom house with 1 carspace

Land size 689 ㎡
Floor area 385 ㎡
Year built 1930

note this property also has the address of corner of Glendower and Irene Streets


This property is included on the City of Vincent's Municipal Heritage Inventory

Conservation Recommended


The triplex at No. 15 Glendower Street is a good example of the Interwar Art Deco style of architecture which, as a corner property, contributes to the streetscape and character of the area.

Three dwellings, with the corner dwelling orientated towards Glendower Street and Hyde Park, and the others with entrances from Irene Street. The brick and tile building exhibits Art Deco elements such as walls rendered in the style of ashlar block work, bubble glass windows and slab awnings over the windows. The corner dwelling has a stepped pediment façade and curved verandah with concrete column supports. The Irene Street dwellings each have a small entrance porch. The property is defined by a low brick wall that curves around the corner. The place is setback from both streets behind a low face brick wall. The setback area has a number of mature shrubs that obstruct views of the place. None apparent


Railton T. Street 1930
Edward J. King 1937
Mrs T. Goster 1941
Mrs Helen Elliot 1941
Mrs Sarah Brown 1941

Social History

Glendower Street was developed adjacent to Hyde Park. The houses shown on the 1897 PWD sewerage plan, on the southern side facing the Park along what is now Glendower Street between Lake and William streets, have all been replaced with later constructions. The residences on Glendower Street developed between 1900 and 1940. There was a cottage on the corner of Glendower and Irene streets in 1897, but this place did not appear in the City of Perth Rate Books by 1930. Those residences in the section between William and Throssell streets facing the park became more attractive following the upgrading of Hyde Park (which had previously been known as Third Swamp.) Originally this wetland has been an Aboriginal hunting and camping area and it was developed as Hyde Park from 1898 onwards. Two lakes were developed with a causeway and an island in the middle and shelter sheds. picnic areas, two playgrounds for children (many of the locals also climbed the trees or made cubbies in those shrubs and trees with low hanging branches) and a rotunda were all added in subsequent years. Glendower Street was first listed in Wise's Post Office Directories in 1898 when there were four houses (not numbered) listed between Palmertson and Fitzgerald Street. The following year (1899) their numbers had doubled to eight but there were still no numbers allocated. It is believed that the first residence west of Irene Street and facing the park was No 33, an 1890s dwelling occupied by George B Glossop and it appears that Mary Glossop lived next door shorlty after. In 1910 Wise's Post Office Directories listed Mrs Mary Glossop as the resident of No. 15 and George Glossop at No. 33 and the 1920 edition indicated that they were both still there. By 1930 No. 15 was occupied by Railton T. Street but George Glossop was still at No. 33 and he remained there until at least until 1949 when the Directories ceased. In 1937 Edward J. King was shown as being in residence at No. 15 but the property was not listed again in Glendower Street. In 1940 a triplex was under construction on the corner of Irene Street. It was owned by Mendel Brown, and in 1941 it was as 3 to 7 Irene Street. The occupants at the time were Mrs T. Goster, Mrs Helen Elliot and Mrs Sarah Brown, who was possibly a relation of Mendal Brow



Research Links


Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License