Palmerston St 180, North Perth


Constructed from 1900 to 1952

Note address is also corner of Palmerston and Glendower Streets.

Also known as Glendower House.


Conservation Recommended


The house at 180 Palmerston Street has aesthetic value beginning as a modest Federation Bungalow and progressively developing into a substantial dwelling in a prominent location.

The original single storey dwelling has a hipped tiled roof with a gable feature on the prominent wall. The main roof continues over the corner verandah. The verandah is supported by square timber posts and decorative brackets. The gable wall also features six casement windows and fanlights in a flat triangle shape. The windows on the the front wall are a set of two double hung sashes . The original chimney is tall square roughcast with corbelled brick tops and clay pots. The double storey extension on the side has face brick and rendered sections of wall. The windows are in configurations of three, but are not consistent in detail. The belvedere is overbalanced off the side of the second storey extension roof. It has a hipped tiled roof and flat sheet balustrades. Low fence with plumbago hedge. Garden and plantings. Considerable: double storey extension and third storey belvedere

Low to moderate degree integrity.


1911-1938: Godfrey White
1938-1949: H Millman

Social History

Palmerston Street was named in 1858 after Lord Palmerston (1784-1807), Prime Minister of England. He was an exponent of liberal politics and gunboat diplomacy and was variously nicknamed, 'Lord Cupid' and 'Lord Pumicestone'. At the beginning of the 1890s there were few houses around as much of Perth was still scrubland. The 1890s gold rush brought a huge influx of prospectors to the State, many of whom became permanent settlers. This area's proximity to the City made it attractive to settlers but the excessive demand caused a tent city to develop in nearby Hyde Park. Continuing demand for housing led to several new subdivisions. This one, which covered the area between Palmerston, Bulwer and Glendower Streets, was carried out in 1891 and the eastern end of the street block, which includes Lake Street was subdivided the following year (1892). The attraction of this area improved considerably once Hyde Park (or Third Swamp as it was previously known) was firstly gazetted as a reserve and then redesigned as a park in 1898. No. 180 Palmerston, a large residence on the corner of Palmerston and Glendower streets, began as a modest house on the second lot from the corner. It was first extended on the northern side onto the adjoining corner lot. By 1952 a second storey had been added at the rear. A belvedere has also been added to take advantage of the views over Hyde Park. The MWSS & DD sewerage plan confirms the origins of the house, its original shape being clearly shown. The development was in keeping with its position overlooking Hyde Park. The original residence does not appear on the 1900 PWD sewerage plans. However, Wise's Post Office Directories show that D.W. Harwood, Managing Director of the Perth Pneumatic Malting Coy., was the occupant in 1903. Godfrey White was listed as the occupant and probably the owner of the place from at least 1915 to 1938 and in 1949 the resident was listed as H. Millman. According to the City of Perth building licence cards, J. Zeitlen was the owner of the subject place in 1951. In 1953 Mr Zeitlen constructed a brick and iron double garage (accessed from Glendower Street) and store plus a separate laundry and shower at the rear of the block. This replaced an existing wooden garage. In 1952 alterations and additons, which included rebuilding an existing sleepout were carried out, plus the demolition of an existing lean-to.



Research Links

1932-Wedding notice-White:|||l-format=Article|||sortby=dateAsc
1943-Engagement notice-Millman:|||l-format=Article|||sortby=dateAsc#
1943-Death notice-Machlin:|||sortby=dateAsc|||l-availability=y#
1944-Naturalisation notice-Zweig:|||sortby=dateAsc|||l-availability=y#
WA Heritage Council:
Godfrey White:
Transfer of car from J. Gregory to Mrs. Annie White, 180 Palmerston St, Perth, Erskine as listed on 28 June 1931
Voices from overseas recordings including Sig. B. Millman, WX1276, 180 Palmerston St.,Perth as listed on 8 December 1941.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License